History of the Morris Canal

Lehigh Valley RailroadImage via Wikipedia
History of the Pequannock and Pompton Dams:


  • 12/31/1824 - Morris Canal (of which both Dams are a part), Chartered by the State
  • 1827 - 1831 Completed for Boats of 25 Tons
  • 1840 - 1845 Enlarged for Boats of 70 Tons
  • 1871 - Leased to Lehigh Valley Railroad Company
  • 11/29/1922 - Acquired by the State.
  • 1924 - Abandonment of Navigation Authorized
  • 1925 - Abandonment Plans Cont.: Surveys completed, Property Lines Noted,  Reconstruction Planned
  • 1926 - 6 Contracts Completed; 2 Contracts Being Carried Out
  • 1927 - 174 Bridges Removed and Regraded, 7 Rebuilt, 26 Locks, 21 Planes, & 8 Aqueducts Dismantled, 156 Drainage Cuts Built
  • 1929 - Cornelius Vermeule's Final Engineering Report Published, a quintessential document for anyone studying the Morris Canal and its history.





Christopher Lotito is a member of the Pequannock EnvironmentalHistoric District, and Flood Control Advisory Commissions as well as the author of  "Torrent," a book about flooding in the region.  Lotito's personal mission is to reduce new taxes, drastically reduce flooding, and preserve more green spaces for our children.  Christopher Lotito Profile

Popular Posts